Guide to the Loire regions

Châteaumeillant


Château de Culan

Attractions


Archaeological Museum Emile Chenon
This museum, established in 1961 by archaeologist Jacques Gourvest, is housed in a 14th Century building on a quiet side street within the town. It contains considerable amounts of ceramic and other materials that were recovered in the late 1950s from the excavations of the ancient settlement of Mediolanium, (the Roman name for Châteaumeillant) a fortified Gallic stronghold that covered 18 hectares and was protected by from attack by a earthen levée. Of interest to wine lovers is the collection of the 300 plus amphorae found around the region and a huge wooden wine press, both of which help illustrate its importance as a wine producing region for the past 2,000 years. 

It is open all year from Tuesday to Saturday (10h00-12h00 and 15h00-18h00). Opening times may vary depending on season and it is closed on public holidays. It opens on Sundays during July and August. There is a modest entrance fee.

 

L’église Saint-Genès
Châteaumeillant

Acknowledged as one of the first Romanesque sanctuaries in the Berry and used as a stop off point for pilgrims on the route of Saint Jacques de Compostelle. Its foundations date back to the end of the 11th Century. At 52 metres long, it’s enormous in comparison to the town's population, but indicates the importance of Châteaumeillant in centuries past.

 

 

 



 

La Maison de George Sand
Nohant-Vic
T: + 33 2 54 31 06 04

Twenty kilometres west of Châteaumeillant itself, just north of the town Le Châtre, is the pretty hamlet of Nohant. It is famous as the residence of the novelist George Sand (1804 – 1876). Sand, whose given name was Amandine Aurore Lucile Dupin, was born in Paris, but was raised in Nohant for much of her childhood by her grandmother following the accidental death of here father. She inherited the house at the age of 19. She adopted the pseudonym George Sand in 1832, writing romantic novels in a rural setting and taking her childhood experiences as inspiration. From 1837 until her death, Sand spent many summers here, writing some of her most famous novels, such as La Petite Fadette (1849) and entertaining many of the famous artists of the time, including Balzac, Liszt and Chopin (who lived with Sands at the house for several years in the 1840s. Her remains are buried in a small walled cemetery between the small church and the house's famous garden. 

 

Château de Culan
Culan
T: + 33 2 48 56 66 66
T: + 33 8 26 95 18 18
F: + 33 9 57 66 67 67
castle@culan.net
www.culan.net

Culan is a small town about 15 kilometres east of Châteaumeillant. It lies on the north bank of the river Arnon. On a rocky crag at the eastern edge of the town sits an impressive 12th Century fortified Château which post-dates an original wooden structure that was erected in the 10th Century. During the Revolution, its land was confiscated and given over to local villagers, whilst the Château itself was appropriated as a national property. It is one of the oldest occupied castles in the world. It was fully restored between 1950 and 1980 and work continues under the current owners, father and son, Jean-Pierre and Edouard Marquis. It is open to the public between Easter and the end of October.

 


Office du Tourisme -
Châteaumeillant
69, rue de la Libération
18370 Châteaumeillant
Tél. / Fax : + 33 2 48 61 39 89
Ot.chateaumeillant@wanadoo.fr
www.ot.chateaumeillant.free.fr

 

Back to top